Varovitets Waterfall is a Bulgarian natural wonder whose grandeur and beauty stuns its beholders. Its height is roughly 15 metres. The water descends to several terraces in the bed of Malki Iskar River. It is located in close profimity to the Etropole monastery St. Troitsa, one of the biggest monasteries in Bulgaria which is situated on a terrace sculpted by the waterfall. During the spring, after the rains, the waterfall is most impressive and deep, and during the winter – freezes forming beautiful icicles.
Etropole: a town with centuries of history and traditions. It is situated at the foot of Stara Planina and has 2,500 years of history. It was established in 7th-6th century BC.
St. Troitsa monastery was founded in the Middle Ages. Its name is associated with St Ivan Rilski who settled down in one of the caves in the nearby area Varovitets, before retiring as a hermit in Rila. In 16th and 17th century, the Etropole monastery was one of the most important literary and educational centres in Bulgaria. It was there that the famous Etropole literary school of calligraphic arts was established and developed. Many compilers of church collections, painters and others have created works of art there. Famous names among these are the hieromonks Rafail and Danail, grammarian Boycho, deacons Dragul and Yoan, and teacher Doyo. Many of manuscripts were written in the monastery, and then painted by hand and adorned with ornaments, letters, tailpieces, etc. (Gospel of 1577, Prologue for the Months of 1602, several gospels from 17th century, etc.) In 1858, the abbot Hrisant found in the ruins of the church a slab with an inscription marking the founding year of the cloister – 1158. The slab is embedded in the foundations of the current monastery temple. Vasil Levski visited the monastery. The hide-out prepared for him by Hrisant has been preserved.
The Etropole Museum of History was opened in 1958 in the building of the Religious School, in the courtyard of St. Georgi Church. In 1968, a new exhibition of the museum was presented in the restored building of the former Konak. The current exhibits of the Museum of History were fully renewed in 1992. The rich historical and cultural heritage of Etropole Municipality is presented in 10 exhibition halls: 1. Ethnography, 2. Archaeology, 3. Crafts 16th-17th century, 4. Crafts 18th-19th century, 5. Crafts 19th-mid 20th century, 6. Enlightenment, 7. Etropole School of Calligraphic Arts from 17th century, 8. National liberation struggles, 9. Eminent citizens of Etropole, and 10. Charity. The museum displays over a 1,000 cultural treasures, many photographs and documents.
The clock tower was built by the master Todor in 1710. Its height is 20 metres. It was used as an observation and defence tower. In 1821, it was fitted with a clock mechanism and became a clock tower. It has been declared as an architectural monument of culture.